Friday, February 3, 2012

Bridling Tip

I have a horse who will try to avoid taking the bit. so I was trying to put the bridle on her and she moved her head away from me. That gave me an idea. What if I had her move her head all the way over to the opposite side (flexing away from me) and then put the bridle on. It worked beautifully. She couldn't move her head as much so she resigned herself to the fact that she wouldn't be able to escape the bit. This will not work on all horses. First of all some horses won't stand still if you flex their neck like that. Others are just way to frightened of the bridle to let you do that. I have another horse who had this on an extreme level. He would throw his head, back up, try to run away, and sometimes even rear. With him this would not have worked. He didn't like the bridle to go over his right eye. With time and patience, little by little, he learned that it wouldn't hurt him. Now I can put the bit up to his mouth and he will take it in himself. And slipping it over his head is extremely easy.  Part of the problem with Santana  was that inn earlier years he had been saddled and bridled quickly and probably not with a gentle hand. Try not to hurry through the getting ready process.

No comments:

Post a Comment