Monday, February 6, 2012

Respect and Control

In this little section, I will talk about getting some respect and control from your horse. What you want to do is take a whip and point at the body part of your horse with the whip. In this I do it with the feet. If you want your horse to move say his shoulder tap him on the shoulder (extremely lightly) and use the halter and lead rope to move his head and shoulders in the right direction. You could also push against the horse's shoulder too but with some horses that leads to a little war. Do what works best for your horse. My goal with this is that I will be able to point at any part of my horse's body and they will move it. In the video Misstack takes the weight of her hind foot but doesn't lift it. If your horse does this stop and praise him but then go back and ask him to lift his foot off the ground. Shifting his weight is a step in the right direction. If you can get your horse to do this he is showing you a sign of respect by doing what you ask. I read in a magazine that the reason a horse respects you is because you can get him to move.




 
This could also lead to getting your horse to lay down and rear. If I figure out how I'll let you know

No comments:

Post a Comment