Saturday, September 1, 2012

What a Mess

We didn't ride but we did start organizing the trailer.
The trailer has a compartment with a bunch of horse stuff in it (also serves as a bench). So Aleythia and I, after taking some folding chairs and sitting in the paddock for a while, decided to organize. I have always wanted to know what was inside that, but it's so messy it's not easy to look through.
We found a bag of bits, bell boots, leg boots, jackets, umbrellas, horse blankets, a fly mask, an extension cord, clippers that probably don't work, a lunge line, latigos, some stretchy thing you put over your horses head and neck, some rope, and a green lead rope.
With the stretchy thing we plan to put it on Ana when Terry's not around. I can't wait to see what he'll say.

Terry went to the vet's today to pick up some dewormer. He ended up getting vaccines too. The vet said that she had three horses with West Nile disease. One of the three will more than likely not make it. It was caused by a misquito. Terry thought that with the fillies being out in the grove there might be misquitos out there, more than in a pasture.
He bought a vile that is less than two inches tall, and he said it probably costs around $100. There's stuff for the West Nile disease, tetanus, and I think that there is something for strangles too. I probably missed something. It's enough for ten horses, and they all get 20 ccs of it.
We fed the fillies, and when they were pretty much done we gave them all shots. They did very well.
We also did the three other mares.
Flicka was hard to catch, and she was NOT respecting our bubble space. She wouldn't stop when we stopped, and she was set on running us over. Aleythia had her and she couldn't get her to get out of her space, so... I went to get the whip, mwhahahaha!
Aleythia tried getting her to get out of her space, but she just isn't mean enough. I tried. I wiggled the lead rope, and then proceeded to wack her on the chest with the whip. She went forward, and I just kept wacking her (not very nicely either). Eventually she realized that walking forward wasn't working and stopped. Still not good enough, and I kept wacking.
And then, it happened. The unthinkable happened. My fat, lazy, bossy, unsensitized horse took one tiny step backwards.
Did I mention that when I was waking her she gave a little kick? I just kept wackin.
After a little more practice, she was licking her lips, and I handed her back to Aleythia.
She was moving her hindquarters, and she kicked. I yelled to Aleythia to hit her harder and make her feet move!
Flicka's limping. Not because of what we did. We noticed it when we called them in for food.

I have been cured. Cured of just looking at one trainer for my training. Thankyou mugwump.
"No one trainer has the complete right answer."

I have been inspired to try and see how my body language effects a horse. What I want to do is let one of the horses out in the paddock by themselves with no halter or lead rope. Then I will see what I can get that horse to do without the help of a halter. It should prove to be interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment