Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Fabulous Weekend!

Well I didn't go riding Saturday. My oldest sister and her husband were over Friday night and I told them I was sleeping over. Hehe. They were totally fine with that. It makes me laugh. So I went to their house for the weekend and cleaned it. My sister was very happy. I got to feed baby calves. My sister went to work so I went with my brother in-law to his parent's house and his cousins were over. I now have a small collections of funny stories.
I did ride horses yesterday. I almost didn't, then Aleythia got really frustrated with her homework and practically dragged me out the door. I rode Frosty first because I knew she would be the one who would want to canter, and I couldn't do that in the barn when it got dark. She is getting neck reining down pretty well.
I got Toffy to go over some feed bags too. Which is an improvement. I even got on her bareback and did it. I also went over the bags with Dash too. And we trotted a little bit too.
It's funny I don't think of my barrel horse as short, but he really is. Next to our fillies he is really, really short.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, sorry it took so long to reply. Things get busy in the winter, in Canada :)
    I found some quotes from my blog, thought they might help. (Or not, you never know)..
    Blog from April 2009.

    Sail and Rudder, 1806
    .... the rider has adjusted his bridle of such a length, as to be able to give the horse all of his head, at first setting off; for he should feel his horse's mouth as soon as he has taken a step or two, but not before; since (as before observed) the switch is the sail,and the reins are the rudder. The reins should no more be used, before the horse is put in motion (either by speaking to it, or the switch), than the rudder of a ship should be used, before the sails are set.
    STRICKLAND FREEMAN from The Art of Horsemanship.

    Okay, so substitute your leg or voice for the switch. I didn't know horses HAD a switch:) He actually means a whip, for those confused. Old S. Freeman Guy had something there, didn't he?

    But I still love this the best.

    To Flatter and Coax - Xenophon (long frickin' time ago 444-365 BC)
    The hand must neither be held so strict as to confine and make the horse uneasy, nor so loosely as not to let him feel it. The moment he obeys and answers it, yield the bridle to him; this will take off the stress and relieve his bars, and is in conformity with that maxim, which should never be forgot, which is to caress and reward him for whatever he does well. The moment that the rider perceives that the horse has begun to place his head, to go lightly in the hand, and with ease and pleasure to himself; he should do nothing that is disagreeable, but flatter and coax, suffer him to rest a while, and do all he can to keep him in a happy temper. This will encourage and prepare him for greater undertakings.
    from XENOPHONS'S Treatise on Horsemanship.

    What both quotes are saying is Let the horse be happy in his forward movement, and do NOT discourage that forwardness. Horses are built to move.
    As far as your stirrup length, I'd keep them a hole longer, really, if you are doing western. You barrel people have to be able to get off their back so they can fly, and also to get them to turn on a dime at speed, so you need some depth of seat. Do two-point without stirrups, if you need a good tough exercise. You can do that at any gait, it still burns the right muscles into place. Sorry, phone ringing, gotta go.
    Happy New 2014, good luck with your riidng!

    ReplyDelete