Monday, May 21, 2012

Feeding time!

I have found that the best time to teach your horse a little respect is during feeding time. They want their food and you aren't getting out of their way fast enough. They get pushy and get in your bubble space. I feed my horses in their stalls. This is nice because then I don't have to worry about more than one horse. When I give them their food their immediate reaction is to go for the food right away. What I do is right when I step in the pen I get my horse to stand away from me and the food. I put the food in their bucket, and they try to eat. I shoo them back away and just stand there for a little while. Not for long, just so that they know that you can keep them away from their food. You can also use your hand to bump their nose if they keep trying top put it in the feed bucket when you're still standing there. Eventually your horse will stand in their stall patiently waiting until you leave their stall so that they can go eat. I suggest that you bring a crop with you until you are absolutely sure that your horse will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment