Thursday, May 17, 2012

"Working With His Breaks On" and Light Bit Pressure

Today my sister rode Ana and worked on "working with his breaks on" with her again. The only thing that changed was that when my sister started to canter Ana she started out slower. Oh, and when my sis went to get on Ana she only had to make Ana's hindquarters move twice before Ana stood still so that she could mount.

I rode Misstack. That was fun. I was walking her and I was using a snaffle bit with her and she was just really responsive to a light pull on the reigns. I moved up to a trot and she was good with the bit there too. I started cantering her and she was awesome. While she was cantering I would pick random places in the paddock to turn her. Sometimes it was along the fence other times it was just anywhere in the pen. She was switching leads and turning and and points even doing small rollbacks. To get her this way I would canter, trot, or walk and any way she wanted to go I would go another direction. When you canter, trot or walk just ask your horse to turn at random spots in the pen. Eventually your horse will become lighter on the bit and start listening to you more. I did this with barrels. I would start her out doing the barrel racing pattern and then when she started going around that barrel i would turn her away from it.

A good place to find really good horse training is http://www.downunderhorsemanship.tv/
Some of the stuff on here is from this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment