Sunday, August 26, 2012

Recently made Memories

I'm going to rewrite an event as a story.
 
~         ~          ~
 
Aleythia and I woke up to a crispy morning. It was 7:30 and we had a job to do. We slipped on jeans a t-shirt and our cowboy boots, hopped on our bikes and rode the mile through town to the Rosen farm.
Upon our arrival we saw three horses grazing in the pasture, the fourth was laying down nibbling at grass.
We parked our bikes on the cement next to the trailer, grabbed the lead ropes from the barn and walked into the pasture.
Now Frosty had joined Coffie in laying down. We dropped everything. The lead ropes and our plans to tune up their loenging, and set out to see if they would let us approach them while they were laying down.
I tried walking up to Frosty. Knowing that horses are the most vulnerable when laying down, I tried to act as little like a predator as I was able too. I walked a few steps towards her then retreated, walked a little closer, then retreated. Finally, I was able to reach my hand out and let her smell my hand. She did, and I retreated. I walked up to her again, petted her head and retreated. I walked back and petted her head again and then sat by her, petting her all the while. The whole time her ears were pricked and she had a curious look in her eye.
I sat there just petting her and she let me scoot back towards her shoulder and I petted her some more.
I leaned my back against her shoulder, folded my arms, crossed my ankels, and pretended to take a nap.
By this time Toffy also decided that laying down was a good idea. So Aleythia started doing the same thing I did with Frosty to Toffy.
Frosty moved, so I got up, she got up, and put her head down to graze.
I could see that Toffy was a little more nervous then Frosty about Aleythia approaching. She would kinda tensed up and lift her head a little higher when she got uncomfortable with Aleythia approaching. I warned Aleythia of this and she retreated more often, but was eventually able to sit next to Toffy. We sat there, enjoying the moment and the cool morning.
We heard the train in the distance. Not knowing how Toffy would react, Aleythia got up when she saw the train.
The train became louder as it got closer, and Toffy stood up. When the train blew that horn, Toffy paused for a moment and then took off! All four fillies ran, bucking their way to the quiet mares on the other side of the pasture fence and the morning sun making everything seem like it had a yellow shine all its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment