Saturday, August 25, 2012

We'll figure it out eventually

Have you ever noticed that there are pretty much no guy bloggers. Just thought I would mention it.
I have come across a blog that is really insightful and helpful. It's called Mugwump Chronicles.
I have started from the beginning of her blog, and two of the horses she had are like Ana in so many ways. Sonita has amazing endurance, like Ana. Her childhood horse didn't know how to stop, like Ana. But I will say something good about Ana. She is smart. Teach her anything that involves going forward and she'll pick it up like she just needs a reminder of what to do. She has also never reared or bucked because she was scared or really wanted us to get off. She rears when she's frustrated (which usually happens when we are trying to get her to stop) and bucks when she's in pain (english saddles with no pad make her buck).
When I look up "how to slow the hyper horse" the most common answer I get is to do lots of circles. And ya know what? Ana is the most flexible horse on the planet. She is also still hyper.
What I have found that helps her to calm down a bit is to teach her something new. But start cantering and she's back to prancing and refusing to halt.
The only way we will ever be able to fix that unrated canter of hers is to work on it. She needs to have a purpose to her run though. I think jumping would help her do that, but I have no expertice in jumping. I've never ridden a horse that could jump, and I do not want to teach Ana how to do it wrong. We think it might help to go on a trail ride and let her go as fast as she wants. Then when she's tired ask her for a little more, and then turn around and woah-n-go all the way home.
Our goal with Ana is to get her to woah, walk, trot, and canter all on a loose rein.
She sorta gets the walk. It used to be that when we first got on her and into that pen she would not walk. Now she always walks first.
Now a word of advice.
If you ever train a horse stop and stand just as much as you go.
This is from my own experience and from many other trainers I have come across. Never underestimate the power of standing still.

No comments:

Post a Comment