Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Follow It!

So I am really happy about today. I rode Toffy and I taught her how to turn.
Aleythia showed me an article on teaching a horse to follow their nose. I really liked it. You can find it here.
Like I said it tells you how to teach a horse to follow his nose. My summary of how they do this is your riding in a snaffle and you want your horse to turn left. Now your horse is a greenie and doesn't quite understand direction. You pull to the left and he doesn't go or is maybe really slow about it. So you either pull harder, wait, or... you can bring your foot back and get him to disengage his hindquarters so that he is facing the direction you chose. Now to get the best results don't expect to really go somewhere just ask for a turn disengage the hindquarters two steps and walk on.
It might also help if your horse flexes well in the bridle (he can touch the fender of your saddle with his nose). It will also help if your horse already knows how to disengage his hindquarters on the ground.
If you read the article it says that it will help your horse to never fade out of a turn. I can attest that it does work. I was really surprised how quickly Toffy caught onto the fact that she was to go left when I asked her to go left and right when I asked her to go right. And she was making the turns really well.
The last thing I did was trot. Nothing big mind you, but I got maybe ten feet of trotting out of her and then I called it good.
Misstack has a problem with fading out of a turn. She doesn't turn when I want her to. Trail rides are especially bad. I have to constantly pull on one rein to keep her going the direction I want. She doesn't turn barrels real well. Her circles are really wide. I'll see if it works.

I'm thinking about making a blog on horse philosophy. It will be about how to teach your horse different things, using different methods, and different trainers. What's best in different situations, good things to read, good places to get information, and I think I'll even put up places to find good cheap tack.

I'm also thinking about making a page and once a week I'll pick one of my blog posts and translate it into Spanish. Just so that I can learn more about that language, and use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment