Sunday, February 24, 2013

Trot to Success

I am super happy. All four of the fillies have gotten ridden in full tack. We've trotted every single one of them but Coffie.
Frosty had her first ride outside yesterday. I had her all tacked up and outside and Terry helped me on. She walked out just fine. She had a tiny freak out, but came right back to me. She went at the sound of a cluck (my second que, first being my legs) and she turned pretty easily. She didn't want to disengage her hindquarters real well though and so what I ended up doing was, when her was bent to the side like flexing and I'd given her a chance with my leg back and kicking a little bit, I took the end of one of the reins and hit her behind her hip once. She got it. I asked her to trot and she did it almost right away. I think she was nervous and just wanted to go anyway, but I was still surprised how easily it was to get her to trot.
I also worked on trotting with Toffy. Also turning and trotting. She can't walk a straight line to save her life, but she'll get better. But she was trotting really nicely.
Aleythia got on Coffie in full tack for the first time too. I add the full tack thing because we have gotten on them before without a saddle. But anywho. Aleythia did a little bit of desensitizing, got on, and Terry led Coffie around. A little while later Aleythia worked on direction with Coffie without a leader.
Aleythia rode Dash outside too and I have some pictures.
coffie being ridden

dash


dash trotting

Frosty

she wouldn't stand still so that I could take pictures


I put this one up only because you could really see that Dash was trotting.
I can call it art though.


I just gotta say though. The fillies' trots are the oddest trots I have ever sat on. On all my other horses I get bounced to high heaven and back on their trots. But with the fillies, instead of going up and down, you go side to side. Terry says it's part of the quarter horse breed. They have a low trot and a wider base making that side to side motion. It's really smooth. It's a lot of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment