Saturday, February 16, 2013

Working for Their Supper

We did something different today. Instead of getting one of the fillies working with her, putting her away, then getting another, We caught all four fillies tied them to the barn's posts and left them there until we were ready to work with them. When we were done working with them they got put back on the posts. We got this idea from Larry Trocha. Check out his website and subscribe. He has some great stuff. I promise. You won't be disappointed.
I was reading one of Larry Trocha's articles and in one of his responses to a comment he mentioned making your horse work for his supper. He suggests saddling him up in the morning, leave him tied all day, untie at night. He also says to bring him to food and water. Now it's not very possible for me to do that. I have school to go to and I don't live on the same property as my horses do. So instead.... I'll tie them up when I get there at 2, leave them there before and after I work with them, unsaddle, put them away, and give them food. That means that they will stay tied at the least three hours. The most five. Every single time we are over there. They will learn patience. I think they learned to day that the post could hold them. Coffie set back once. Frosty was impatient and was kicking at the wall, got the rope over her head and freaked. She did get it undone. Toffy set back once. Dash? Eh. She was fine. Added bonus of doing this. If you have all your horses out and tied up you feel obligated to work with all of them.
I rode Toffy. We did it outside in the 15 degree weather with a really cold wind. First I desensitized and did loneging. I was outside when Frosty went into her kicking rage and lucky for me I am getting better at controlling Toffy's spooks. She didn't buck. I worked on turning and going where I wanted to not where she wanted to. I did a little bit of stopping and a little bit of backing up. I'll have to take a video just to show you how good she really is. I didn't trot because I figured that would just set her to bucking with how spooky she was today.
The bestest highlight? I rode Frosty. It was the first time with all the tack on. I got on from the flatbed trailer then I asked Terry to lead her around a little bit. She was totally find. When we were in the fillies' section of the barn Terry gave me the lead rope and I taught her directional control. I also worked on stopping. I don't think I have told you how I'm doing that. I'm not saying woah and I'm not pulling back on the reins. I'm just exhaling and relaxing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
That was yesterday. Today I didn't get over to the horses'. I was busy. I slept over at my oldest sister's and my brother-in law's (E & N) place. N is a welder and I signed up for an Agg Mechanics competition in FFA. Which requires you to weld. So N taught me a little bit about welding, left me to it, and I learned how to make a straight weld. I also learned a lot more not just about welding. One example. I can't start N's old girl (truck). It's a stick shift.
Even though I didn't go to Terry's today Aleythia did. She says she tied all the fillies up and they were a lot better. Frosty wasn't pawing or kicking and everyone was fine. Terry gave the fillies' hair a trim. Terry trimmed their ears and cut a bridal path.  Aleythia said they were find with it. I was like "really? Even Coffie?" The last time Terry tried to clip Coffie's ears she would have nothing to do with it. Aleythia thinks it's because of the desensitizing with the plastic bag we did. When I did it with Coffie she didn't like it by her ears so I got her used to it touching and making noise between her ears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment