Saturday, February 2, 2013

It's Been too Long

Three weeks. That's how long it's been sense I saw horses. That's depressing. It's been around negative seven lately. With at least 40 mph winds. This is the time of year when I don't work with horses too much. It's too cold. Then winter's end is even worse. Everything starts thawing out and it's just slush everywhere. Right now it's all ice. We got rain in January! And then it hit the negatives...
Last week I was coming home from a sleepover and I was passing the horses's and they had just been let out and were cantering out of the barn. Dash got to the end of the paddock and when she tried to turn she totally wiped out! It was kinda funny. (I'm such an evil person.) Today was bad too. The paddock was really icy. the horses were pretty much baby stepping everywhere they went. When Terry took me home I told him I was surprised I didn't fall on my way over.... Then five feet later I slipped. BUT I didn't fall! I was close. But I didn't fall!
I was happy that I was able to go to Terry's today even if I didn't do anything. What I did do was spend some time with my horses.
You have no idea how important that is. Learning your horse's habits and their behavior and the hierarchy in the herd is valuable information. I like to figure out what I have to do to get my horses to move out of my space or never come in. Feeding time is great for this. I think it's fun to try and communicate with my horses as close to their language as I can get. To see if they respect me as the boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment