Friday, October 12, 2012

Boring as Watching Paint Dry

I saddled two of the fillies today. Dash and Frosty. I put the saddle on the fence and got them used to the noise of it (it's an old saddle), and after that I had no problems. I took it off the fence and swung it beside them on both sides, then took it on and off. I made sure they would be okay with the cinch by pulling on it then releasing it. Tightened the cinch and got them used to the flapping of the stirrups. I put weight into the stirrups by pushing down on the stirrups with my hands and they did nothing. Jumped beside them with my foot in the stirrup and they cocked their hind foot. Loneged them at the walk and trot and Dash did nothing. Frosty kicked once and I hit her for it because she was kicking at the pressure of the whip hitting her butt, not the saddle. Then I stood up in the stirrups on both sides, then swung a leg over. Frosty did nothing.
It gives you a sense of accomplishment when you first sit on a horse you started.
I sat on Frosty with just a halter and a lead rope. Ya know what? I would probably not do that with any of the older horses. Well, maybe Ana.
MD watched me get the saddle on Frosty too.
I think the most important thing with a horse's first saddling is to make it as stress free as possible. This requires that you prepare your horse for that experience. It also means that you take the saddle on and off gently. You tighten the cinch slowly and make it snug. Enough to keep the saddle in place without making it uncomfortable with the horse.
Ya know what else? I saddled Frosty without even holding onto the lead rope.

Toffy

Toffy

Frosty

Frosty

Frosty

Dash & Aleythia

Dash & Aleythia

Coffie
 
I know these aren't pictures of them with the saddle on, but I didn't have the camera with me. I will take pictures the next time we saddle up.

No comments:

Post a Comment