Friday, October 19, 2012

First Ride

The first time you throw a leg over a young horse. It's an amazing experience. What makes it even better is if that said young horse accepts you as a rider. They don't move, they don't pinn their ears. It just might be the biggest accomplishment you will ever have when training a young horse.

But anyway, Coffie had her first saddle and ride today. I say ride, but it technically wasn't really a ride. Aleythia just threw a leg over and sat there. Coffie didn't move. Toffy also had a first today. We did the Jeffrey's Method with her. I can x off that on my goals now! The one problem we had was that she is way to big. I don't know why, but I can't jump high enough to be able to lay across her back. It might be because it's akin to trying to get on a barrel that's four feet off the ground. There's nothing to hold onto. Do you see my dilema? But we were still able to do it. When I got on I had Aleythia give me a leg up. I think this actually helped, because then I could control how heavily I came down on her back. I don't seem like a predator if I land softly. With jumping you don't have that control. So she wasn't frightened the first time I got on and I was able to still get her used to something coming down on her back, but I did it after she was okay with my weight. It worked out pretty good. But man, I think I need to get some leg muscles. That or grow taller. And guess what! I have pictures!
 This was how Frosty was when we came into the barn. I went over to pet her and I noticed that her breathing was weird. It almost sounded like weasing. Other than the fact that I have never seen her lay down at 3 in the afternoon and her breathing was weird, she seemed fine. She didn't act like she was in pain and got up and started eating after a little while.

Sorry for blurry pirctures, It was cloudy, cold, and wet outside (YAY!!!) so we did everything inside. And I truly am happy that we are not having nice weather. We are in serious need of rain.

They tried to eat my saddle!

Just to show you how much smaller Frosty is than Toffy
Doing the Jeffrey's Method with Toffy 
 

Got the Saddle on Coffie. See how much she cares? Not at all. .
Flapping the stirrups
 

Loneging

Picture edeting is fun
 Weight in the stirrups                                                           First time getting on


Didn't even care

No comments:

Post a Comment