Saturday, October 20, 2012

Not a Care in the World

I went out to the pasture to catch Toffy. Of course she was at the other end of the pasture. I went and petted hello to every horse (Except blacky. She runs away when you come near her with a halter.), and santana gave me a friendly hello. He enjoys the rides we have together. I walked through the spread out herd and they all said hello without walking away. The last horse was Toffy and I walked up to her, gave her a pat, threw the rope over her neck and haltered her. We walked back to the paddock were we had all the things we were going to use today. There was a saddle and a saddle pad, a whip, and a longe line.
I saddled her up without an incident. No bucking. I don't think she even moved. I led her around and then longed her. She moved off when I pointed and trotted without the help of a whip. I decided that cantering her would be fun. On one occasion did she kinda freak out. Ya know that try-to-escape thing she does, but I kept her facing me and she quieted down. Then I went up to her and started flapping the stirrups. Yep, there was my problem. She was scared of the stirrups. She got over it real quick and we cantered for a little bit more. Mind you this was not a pretty, circular canter. She wanted to keep going straight. It's something I've got to work on... without the saddle. Then I got on. Well, I did put weight in the stirrups by putting my hands in the stirrups and leaning on my hands, then I put my foot in the stirrup and jumped up and down like I was gunna get on. After that I stood up in the stirrup. Then I got on. I had a little trouble with the saddle slipping, but she was fine with it. After getting on and off a couple times I had Aleythia lead Toffy around with me on her. She was a little unwilling to walk, but she did it.
When I was done Aleythia went and got Dash. We saddled her up and Aleythia got on. There is one thing I want to say about saddling these fillies. How many horses do you know that will stand still while being saddled without being tied? Those fillies are awesome. But anywho... Aleythia got on Dash and I led her around. Dash followed me just like she would without a rider. No impromptu stopping and... no bucking. These fillies meet and exceed my expectations all the time. I can x off saddle broke off my goals now.
This was right after I got done longeing Toffy

 
See that hind foot? Bad me for wearing tennies.

 Me and Toffy
See what I been tellin ya about saddling them fillies?

 Aleythia and Dash


We fed horses and went and haltered Misstack and Ana. I worked on getting her to neck rein and also how to stop without me saying woah. I also did backing up. I can now pick up the reins, bump with my legs, and she will do a really nice back. Aleythia came in a few minutes after I did and tried to get Ana to stand still long enough for her to open the gate. She did eventually get it open. When Ana walked into the paddock she immediatley calmed down. She put her head down and started walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment