Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gunna' be Fun!

We were able to go to the fillies today and it was a good day. We put a bit in Toffy's mouth and when she stopped chewing for even a second, we took it off. If we would have had a snaffle bit I would have left it on and let her deal with it by herself, but sadly, we didn't. We had a bit with shanks. Grrr. Ah well she was doing okay. I did the rope around the belly thing (in imitation of a cinch) too. Aleythia did that with Frosty too. Then I sat on her. Like actually sat normally on her. I crouched on her back too. We caught Coffie next and did the Jeffrey's Method with her. Aleythia started it out while I went in to see if I could find a bigger halter. Coffie either has a big head or she's growing. When I got back Aleythia was jumping and after a little bit she was trying to get on. After watching her do this and watching Coffie try to run, I asked Aleythia if she had put her weight on Coffie by putting her elbows over her back. She hadn't... It is important that you don't miss a step in that method. There is a reason for every part of it. Since Aleythia had missed that part Coffie wasn't used to weight on her back at all, so she freaked. After a little while Aleythia just had me do it. Her stomach was hurting after trying to jump on for so long. To help her get used to me jumping onto her back I took the end of my lead rope and flipped it over her back. Not nicely, but not really hard either. After that I just started the method from the beginning and did both sides. I got on on one side and I quit when I was actually laying on her with my feet by her tail. Then Aleythia did the other side. Little tip. If you are having a hard time getting on your horse and are too lazy to go get something to stand on, uneven ground is really helpful. Stand on the higher part of a little divot and try to place your horse lower than yourself. And your horse will probably move and ruin it, but it does help. Then with Dash we reviewed the method and I flipped the rope over her back too. Then the other horses left and I discovered she has a little problem with being alone. She wasn't too bad though. Even with the horses gone I was able to get her to focus on me and I did get on. By the end of the session she was calmer and I was able to lay on her back.
I am excited for tomorrow because if everything works out and we got to the fillies, we will saddle up Frosty! Yay! We're doing it tomorrow because MD wants to watch us saddle the fillies for the first time. We're using Frosty because she is the furthest along. And also because we move them back to the other place on Saturday. There just isn't any grass out there. It got cold:(

No comments:

Post a Comment