Friday, November 9, 2012

Ground Work

With my regular chipperness I will try and write this...
We recently got a DVD on barrel racing from HM and so we are teaching Santana, Misstack, Ana, and the fillies the ground work shown in the video.
Aleythia worked on Ana while I did Frosty and Coffie. I have no idea how Ana did, so I'll just write about what I did.
They both did really well. Iworked on loneging at the trot, voice commands, flexing, backing up, and reviewed desensitizing with the rope. And Frosty backs up pretty nice. It's not perfect, It's not even very good, but she can do a few steps of backing up with really light pressure. They are both pretty good at flexing.
After I was done with those two I did almost the same thing with Misstack and Santana. With Misstack I added one thing which was getting her to pivot on her back feet when I stepped in front of her while loneging. She wasn't too bad. Definetly needs improvement, but not bad. With Santana all I did was loneging and getting him to yield his hindquarters. It's pretty bad. He's not real good at moving his shoulder away with pressure on his neck. He doesn't move quite as quickly as I would like when he yields his hindquarters, but it's not too bad. He was actually the worst one. Which I shouldn't be suprised at, but kinda am. I haven't done allot of ground work with him.
But I am happy that we worked with seven horses today.
 Strudder is having problems with his arthritis, so we haven't been riding him lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment