Thursday, November 29, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect

Ok, I wish it weren't true, but it is. Practice does make perfect. But that means I could spend a whole week on just one thing. Like Misstack is awful at flexing. She just totally leans against the halter. She is a prime example of why nylon halters can be a problem when training. She is actually the only one too. All the other horses are great at it. But she seems to think that the halter is a pillow. My goal - To get Misstack to understand that leaning on the halter is not very comfortable. How? By every time she leans against it I'm going to bump her with halter. She knows felxing so she doesn't have that excuse to hide behind. She is just being a pain. When we do flexing she looks at everything. Her mind wanders. She doesn't focus on me. I can see it in how she resists the pressure of the halter and when she does flex, she does it, but halfheartedly. 
I got after quite a bit today. She kicked at me once and she got a whack on the but with the whip for it and was all around being a general pain.
And because we felt lazy we didn't really work with the fillies. We tied them up to the trees in the alfalfa field and Aleythia just watched them. Ana was with them too. Aleythia had put Ana out back by herself Tuesday. And there is now a spot with no grass where Ana was tied. She wasn't too bad today though.
We figured out Tuesday that we need to work on having the fillies just standing there. We also need to do some desensitizing. It is really hard to find a balance.
All four fillies have now had the harness on. And Aleythia said that Frosty was doing really well in a bit.
Santana was amazing today. When I was asking him to do flexing, I would pick up the rope and he was already turning his head to the side. I loved it! I did the sending exercise with him too. Aleythia was watching and she said that she didn't like how he was disengaging his hindquarters. She said it was just too slow. When you ask your horse to do something he should do it NOW! A few more days of ground work and I'll start riding him.

And by the way... Don't try leading four horses at one time...

No comments:

Post a Comment