Monday, November 5, 2012

I had an awesome time at HM's place yesterday. Aleythia and I got to ride English. I rode in a jumping saddle and Aleythia rode in a dressage saddle. It was totally different. The saddle had a total different feel to it. Honestly it's hard to describe.
I so want to teach my horses to side pass. HM's horses can sidepass, they move off of leg pressure, and it is so cool! I know now what a horse should feel like when they sidepass.
I think I'll become a dressage entusiast now.
I love her jumping horse's canter. It's so smoothe, comfortable, and awesome.
I got a tip on how to teach a horse (Misstack) how to be balanced. She said it's something from parelli called the bulls eye. And basically you ask your horse to maintain this canter circle around this object. You ride in a totally loose rein and your corrections are big and dramatic. Not harsh, just dramatic and easily recognizable. And you aren't keeping constant pressure around this object. That's where your corrections come in. When they start to get off of your object you correct them and just let them learn how to hold the circle by themselves.
I learned that horses yawn because it's a stress reliever.
Thinking that you want to do something (say canter) will help you to dedicate your body to cantering and therefore helping your horse to canter.
And I don't think that I will put an overcheck on the fillies when they learn how to drive. If I do it will be very loose. In part because they're quarter horses and weren't built to carry their heads high and because I don't like the general concept of an overcheck. It's not like they really need one anyway because we probably aren't going to do alot of showing in a cart anyway. Besides, I think all the overcheck does is make the horse look more flashy.
HM also gave us a few magazines and a barrel racing instructional dvd to borrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment