Friday, November 23, 2012

I never did say how well Frosty did...
Let's put it this way, it's like pulling on a string and she does it...
She is confident about walking around she stops really well and if you pull an inch on the reins she backs up... perfect little girl...
Carter actually did most of the driving today. I made a few minor adjustments to his technique so that Frosty had the opportunity to respond lightly, but other than that he had fun and so did she. I think that I will put the harness on her next time and get her used to it.
...And the others were awful in comparison to Frosty. Not in comparison to her they actually didn't do too bad. They went where I told them and when I told them, without a leader. I even took Dash outside. But they were awful at stopping. I had to use all my weight to get them to stop. By the end they were doing quite a bit better. They can also back up pretty good now. The stopping and backing up needs work, but in the next few days they will get extremely better.
The only horse I didn't ground drive was Toffy. With Toffy, Aleythia had Carter get up on her and she led her around. And she was totally fine with it. She packed him around easily. As did Frosty.
And then her back foot hit a bucket and she bucked...
Aleythia took Toffy on the narrow side of the trailer. And she went through it just fine. Then about halfway through her back foot hit a bucket and she totally freaked. She bucked, hit the bucket again and bucked again. Amazingly Carter stayed on. She paused and hit the bucket again. She bucked again and that was when Carter came off. He landed on his back. Unfortunately the ground is not very forgiving. He started to complain about his back hurting after that. He'll be alright though. No broken bones. Maybe a little bit shaken, but I think that he'll be alright with that too. I told him that if he didn't get back on he would probably always be afraid to ride her again. So, after a little bit he did get back on. He sat on her and we all rubbed her and then Aleythia led them around.
One thing that Aleythia and I both noticed though was that she didn't try to run Aleythia over. She didn't invade her space even while she was panicking.

I also rode Santana. And by the way I am so glad that we have a barn that we can work in. It's not an indoor arena, but it has enough room to ride around in and do ground work in. I rode Santana bareback in the barn. It was awful weather today. I worked on his woah. After the incident with him on the trail ride when he didn't respond to that bridle at all I decided that it might be a good idea to work on it. What I did was walk a little ways stop and back up. I didn't do much trotting, because I have awful balance on him. It's like I can't find the right spot to sit on him or relax enough to do it correctly. Either he moves funny or I have major problems. But we repeated that exercise until his stop was pretty decent and his back ups were decent too. He can flex really well in the bridle too.

And I hope you all had an awesome thanksgiving. We went out to my grandparent's farm and after lunch we went out and played a really long game of capture the flag. I'm serious, it took like two hours. It was fun though. Nobody even won.

The day before thanksgiving I was over at my youth pastor's house helping add an room to his house. I was there from 10:30 in the morning to 6:30 at night. Aleythia and I learned what goes into doing something like that and we learned what hurricane straps are, what they help with, and also put them in. I learned where to stand when you have 50 mile/hr whinds and someone's cutting wood... Stupid shavings... We cut wood and framed a window and learned about the support structure. I also found out that I love the nail gun. And that guys are worse than girls when it comes to something they appreciate. They love to express it. We definetley had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment