Thursday, June 13, 2013

Brilliant Fillies!!!!

Ya know what a really easy way to get a green horse to canter is? Try trotting toward home. I bet that even if he didn't canter the first time, he eventually would. Horses go faster going home. If you let him know that it was okay to go fast, he would. The one drawback is that then you would have to train it out of him again.  Be prepared to do that.
But the reason that came up is because that's exactly what one of the fillies did. You'll be surprised which one did it too. I asked her to trot towards the barn and she just picked up a nice quick trot, and then broke into a canter for a couple strides. Dash did it. My little scardy cat cantered! Who woulda thought?
Yesterday I let her trot towards the barn, today she cantered. Brilliant little girl.
Ya know what else is exciting! Toffy! I trotted Toffy! No one held onto her lead rope. She trotted and was totally calm about it!
Guess what else! I've been staying on the fillies whenever they have episodes. That or they've been looking to me more on advice. Like today. Terry threw a stick into the middle of the paddock and it took Toffy another second after it hit the grass to decide it was scary. Even then she just jumped away from it. One jump, and then just stood there with an ear cocked.
Those fillies are brilliant!
Coffie is doing great. She trots right away, and turns when I ask.
Frosty needs a little bit more work at the trot. She is stiff tailed about it.
Toffy is brilliant!
Dash is gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment