Monday, June 3, 2013

Highlight - She Turned!

Well... Sunday didn't go as planned. Stuff got in the way. Derned Stuff. Why does he have to go an do that?
Today went pretty well though. I got to Terry's at two and helped him out at another farm, the airport farm. Not to be confused with the Rosen farm where we kept the fillies. The airport farm is right behind the airport. We took the extra tires off the tractor, and once again I can't remember what it's called. I feel like it starts with a d. We threw away a bunch of window panes and found some woodchuck holes. We also threw away some tires. Terry's brother was helping too. Did I ever tell you guys hat Terry's brother broke four ribs falling off of his new horse Toots? See what happened was he was riding Toots while ponying Flicka and you know Flicka she needs to be the boss so she bit Toots. Toots bucked, he fell off and broke four ribs. Toots stopped the moment he was on the ground and stayed with him. She used to be a 4-H horse. She's quite sturdy lookin. She rides good too. That's what I've been hearin anyway.
Oh I saw MD at the wedding Saturday and we talked and she said the reason she didn't come to watch was because she had to work late. She gave Aleythia and I her number so that the next time we attempt to canter we can give her a call.
I also met another horse person at the wedding. Name's Amy. I was asking her about getting the fillies to canter and she said to try doing it in a straight line because they might have trouble getting under themselves and balancing with a rider on a circle. So straight line. She also said to teach them one-rein stops, which she called "e-breaks", which I should have done anyway.
So today when we were done workin at the airport farm we went back home and got a couple horses. Terry's grandson was there and he rode Santana while I rode Frosty. I rode behind Santana almost like a lead horse and she did just fine. She was really plowin though. She felt comfortable and steady. We trotted together and she was fine. She stopped once and I let her catch up which was when she bucked. Surprisingly I just turned her and she did a neat little bucking circle, stopped, and we went away again. Her back was still arched so we went to the shade, stopped, I got off, and took a break.
I am designating the shade the safe spot. So we'll stop there every time we go around and to calm her down.
I got back on a little bit later and we walked around some more. She was wringing her tail at first, but after a little while she relaxed and started being solid again. I got off of her after that.
I went and got Toffy and saddled her up, took her out, desensitized to the barrels. I just think that that would be a very stupid thing to get bucked off for because you go around the barrels, nock it over, and your horse freaks. Stupid. After the barrels Terry's grandson got on, and sat there. She was alright. We even walked. Totally fine. We didn't go too far though. Got off when we reached the safe spot.
After that Terry's grandson and I went and got Dash and Coffie. I worked with Dash first. Before I put the saddle on I gave Terry's grandson a leg up onto her back and he sat up there for a little while. Such an improvement to when we first did it. Either Terry's grandson or me got on bareback and moved around before we put the saddle on with all the fillies.
So I still wasn't sure how Dash would react to cantering with a back cinch. So I did that. Ya, glad I did that. I'll do it again tomorrow. I had the long loenge whip and I was flinging it all over her and I flung it under her belly and she freaked. A couple more times and she was fine. I got on and sat there while Terry held her. I did pretty much the same thing with Coffie. She just needed to be reminded that I can get her to do stuff. The long with was nice for that.
We're going to try and get the fillies to follow Santana and see if that gives them a little bit of confidence. It seemed to give Frosty some... not that she needs anymore. We'll trot Frosty next to him and walk the other three.

No comments:

Post a Comment